David - Beloved. William - Protector.

Monday, August 29, 2011

some thoughts and an update

I am so behind on this... but here it goes anyway!

David has not gained weight now in three months, but this can be normal for kids around this age so the doctor is not too worried. But we continue to pray for growth. An update on his eyes... well we are still patching, now alternating eyes, although the other day I realized that his right eye is actually crossing a lot more than the left. Very odd. Either way, the ophthalmologist is pretty certain he will need surgery (outpatient) at some point. I think this is his biggest issue at this time. My nickname for him is "crazy eyes". Because they go wacky sometimes and he doesn't stare at people as most kids do. He does look at me and Joel and sister but not others for longer than a second or so. Please keep this in your prayers.

On the other hand, I love that he is doing so much! He loves to play, play, play. He is starting to get on top of things, scared me the other day when he was reaching for a handle on top of a cardboard box, good thing he fell on sissy! Every week he gets more steady on his feet, walking seems still far away, especially since he crosses his legs when he tries! His standing is very strong when he is up against something and it helps that he is so driven to do it! Thank you God!

I still remember the days when the words that exited the mouths of neonatologists included "moderate to severe developmental delays" and "this kid is going to be on a lot of medications". It makes my heart so sad and so angry at the same time, but then so extremely GRATEFUL that they were not entirely correct. I went back and read some of my posts from the first month or two of David's life, in the NICU. Wow... I remember how heart breaking it was to hear such things and more. Even worse to see pregnant women or to come home and see my summer maternity clothes that I would never wear. I'm so glad that now those things seem so distant and only through the grace of God, my heart is healed from those terrible days. Don't get me wrong the thoughts come and go but I can rejoice in what my eyes see in my David. David is full of life and has THE cutest belly giggles I ever did hear!

More to come and some pictures in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment